Remembering the America Experienced by a Child of the 50s and 60s


 

Op-ed by TheWiseOldFart

 

Every day the first thing we did at St. Gerard Majella’s Elementary School was face the corner of our classroom, put our hands over our hearts, and recite The Pledge of Allegiance. The school was located in West Los Angeles. I remember a feeling of pride as we spoke the patriotic words which ended “with liberty and justice for all.” In parts of America those six words have little meaning today.

I loved learning about each of the 48 states: what the lives of each state’s people were like and how they were different from my own. I was thrilled on January 3, 1959 when Alaska became our 49th state and again on August 21, 1959 when Hawaii became our 50th. States were not labeled “red” or “blue,” they were all a part of the United States. How things have changed and moved backwards to 1861.

Of course I was proud to be a “Californian.” I loved the weather, the beaches, and the lifestyle offered by such a diverse state. I learned about the state where my mother, my brother, and I were born, Idaho. Although my biological father was not in my life, I was curious about the state in which he was born, Mississippi.

Movies also offered a little insight into what life was like in other states. Although I became interested in our nation’s politics in 1956 during Dwight D. Eisenhower’s second nomination at the Republican Party’s National Convention, I had nothing but positive feelings about every state, whether they were politically slanted towards the Republican or Democratic Party. However, like most young people my age, I was excited about the election of John F. Kennedy in 1960. He offered America’s youth hope for our nation’s future. He was a Democrat, but that meant little to me. I had made up my mind that when I was able to vote in 1968, I would be an Independent. I never was a “joiner,” I was proud to have free thought and the ability to make my own decisions.

In the 21st century our nation is divided. The truth is that for years America has not been “united.” This was an intentional process which began in 1981, and succeeded over the four-year period between 2017 and 2021.

The Electoral College is the reason we have “red” and “blue” states. Elections have become more important than the future of our country. Although I heard complaints about politicians early in my life during family gatherings, never has this “profession” been more corrupt, more dishonest, and more disgusting than today. Our country has moved so far to the right, I no longer trust anyone in power from our religious leaders to the cops driving in their patrol cars. Our nation’s people have a common enemy, and our only weapon is our vote.

But we must vote wisely, and never for a party. There are good people available, but unfortunately none of them are serving on the right side of the aisle on Capitol Hill today. Fascism and rule by a plutocracy have become a reality and only our votes can reverse the situation.

Before you go to the polls, do a little research on every candidate, and every issue. You are voting for yours and your family’s future, and if you fail to vote wisely, we will continue to pay for the lives of luxury enjoyed by the worst men and women in history who control our lives today.

Op-ed by James Turnage

Find my nine novels here: https://www.amazon.com/stores/James-Turnage/author/B00LOCJ2Z2?ref=ap_rdr&store_ref=ap_rdr&isDramIntegrated=true&shoppingPortalEnabled=true

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Real Victims in the Trump Saga

Aileen Cannon: A Corrupt Judge Appointed by a Lifelong Criminal

Lindsey Graham has Become a Whiny Little Bitch