Do You Watch “Game” Shows, and Do You Believe They are Legitimate?


Op-ed by TheWiseOldFart 

 

It was called “The $64,000 Question.” In 1950’s America, this was a primetime event. The possibility of winning that much money by winning a contest was phenomenal. However, when it was revealed that one contestant had been given the answers prior to the broadcast, it was over.

 

This is far from my regular story. However, I promise that ‘the truth lives here,’ and I feel required to expose another issue where corporate profits are considered more important than the truth.

 

For several years my wife and I had a morning routine. We watched “CBS This Morning,” which was followed by “Let’s Make a Deal.” The latter is a game show which continues today. It offered nice, but not exorbitant profits to contestants and was entertaining. 

 

During a single broadcast, while my wife had left the room. I witnessed what can only be called “fraud.” The game played was not new. It offered a large number of squares, and beneath the numbers were prizes. If the contestant matched two of the prizes, he or she won that prize. I possess an excellent memory. I memorized the four corners of the board in the allotted five seconds.  


When the board was once again returned to neutral, the contestant was allowed three opportunities to match available prizes. He failed. However, I knew he had made correct choices twice. I rewound my DVR and the truth was undeniable. I contacted CBS but they ignored me. The prizes and “zonks” had been altered over the next few minutes. 


I no longer watch any game show. I have reason to believe that all of these broadcasts are not based in reality. The winners and losers are decided long before the show begins. More lies from corporate America. 


I am aware that this is not a major crime, or is it? Can we trust anything? “Reality television” is an insult to those of us with average intelligence, but is all television, including the news, founded in falsehoods? What about the ads during elections. Are the networks supporting one candidate over another? 


My fellow Americans: trust no one. 


Op-ed by James Turnage 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Want You to Think About the Reasons for, and the Reality of Domestic Terrorism

One Very Serious and Critical Question: Why Do Republicans Hate America?

Why my Wife Wants to Move to Canada