The NFL has Joined the NBA and MLB in Making Professional Sports Boring and Immaterial

Op-ed by TheWiseOldFart

 

I loved all three professional sports when I was young. I was a huge fan of the Los Angeles Lakers, the Los Angeles Dodgers, and the Pittsburgh Steelers. As rule changes, and even the lack of change became realities, I no longer had any interest in professional baseball or basketball, and in 2023 I am losing my interest in the NFL.

First and last, as it is for everything else in America, the primary reason: money. All major professional sports have placed profits ahead of the games. No average working man can afford to attend any of the games on a regular basis. I will also discuss free agency, television profits, and salaries which are beyond ridiculous.

America is a money cult, not a nation of people. If you are not rich, you can only dream about the American way of life promised in books and movies.

The second reason which caused me to lose interest in other sports is free agency. The greed of athletes destroyed the “team concept” forever. The Monday Night Football game between the Cleveland Browns and the Pittsburgh Steelers was a perfect example. The Steelers’ defense was terrific, but their offense was deplorable. Their offensive line, and the wide receiver corps has obviously been decimated. I was only able to identify two linemen and two receivers from last year’s team.

Another team which is struggling is the Kansas City Chiefs, Last year’s Super Bowl winner is missing key players on the offense forcing Patrick Mahomes to become Superman. Other questions arise for the Bengals, the Giants, and New England, among others.

If this season continues to be as uninteresting as the first two weeks, I will surely become an uninterested fan by the 2024 season. There are only a few “teams” remaining in the NFL. It is becoming a group of individuals who will play for any team if the price is right.

Op-ed by James Turnage

Find my novels here: https://www.amazon.com/stores/James-Turnage/author/B00LOCJ2Z2?ref=ap_rdr&store_ref=ap_rdr&isDramIntegrated=true&shoppingPortalEnabled=true

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Want You to Think About the Reasons for, and the Reality of Domestic Terrorism

One Very Serious and Critical Question: Why Do Republicans Hate America?

Why my Wife Wants to Move to Canada