America Means “Doing the Right Thing:” We Don’t do That Any More


Op-ed by TheWiseOldFart 

I grew up in the 1950’s and 1960’s. My interest in politics began in 1956. Our government has never been perfect, but during my younger years, with heated deliberation and compromise, it worked. Most of the time our elected officials “did the right thing,” or something close to it.  

The American People are the Least Informed in the Free World 

One of the things I remember most is that my grandparents, uncles and aunts discussed politics and the direction our nation was taking after the end of WWII. They read the newspaper and were far more informed than the average American who “learns everything they need from television today.” 

I assumed that every American paid attention to what was happening in our country, and about one-half of them did. Today I doubt that five percent of all Americans are aware of what is happening in Washington. They are ignorant because of a lack of effort, but also because our government has become more secretive every day. Misinformation is more common than the facts I read on the pages of the Los Angeles Times. Television has destroyed the Fourth Estate. 

Everything I Believed Was a Lie 

For me, my awakening came in 1962. I left my private education at a Catholic High School and registered at a Public High School in Venice, California. In 1962 Venice High School was an ethnic and racially balanced education venue. Unlike St. Bernard’s, we had Black, Hispanic, and Asian students. Catholicism was not exclusive. Most importantly for me, as a 16-year-old adolescent, our classes were mixed. Boys and girls were together.  

Even in the 21st Century, There Are Two Very Different Americas 

My teachers were better, overall. However, the important part of my education came from my fellow students. The first thing I learned was shocking: there are two America’s within the confines of the United States.  

I originally learned that the differences involved racism. I heard stories from my Black friends which seemed unbelievable at the time. The lessons they learned at home were shocking to this white boy. Part of their education was learning how to act around law enforcement. This was a process which could save their lives. Today the separation between the two Americas has become a separation of the “haves” and “have nots.” 

No War is Ever Won 

America has become a plutocracy. Only the wealthy are able to experience the “American way of life.” The Civil War never ended. Our country remains divided between white supremacists, homophobes, xenophobes, misogynists, anti-Semites, and Americans who support the Constitution and the ideals of our Founding Fathers. 

As I grew, I believed our country was doing the same. All forms of prejudice reveal the stupidity of mankind. Compassion and understanding result in efforts to do the right thing for all of our nation’s people. In 2024 this is uncommon.  

Our government is dysfunctional and there appears to be no solution which will change that fact in the near future. The proof exists in the fact that the worst president in American history, the man who attempted to overthrow our government on January 6, 2021, remains a free man seeking a return to the White House in 2024. 

The United States has become a lawless nation, and without laws a democratic society cannot exist. 

It’s So Simple It Seems Impossible Today 

Doing the right thing sounds simple, and at one time it was. The American people came first. Today, the profits of Corporations and our wealthiest Americans take precedence over the quality of life of the majority. This is why our country is rated last in the quality of life among all developed nations.   

While our two major political parties battle for power, the people suffer. Caring for the needs and wishes of all citizens has been pushed aside.  

Is America over? This is for you to decide. The only weapon you have is your vote: don’t waste it voting for a party. 

Op-ed by James Turnage 

Find my novels on Amazon’s free Kindle app 

“The Truth Lives Here” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Real Victims in the Trump Saga

Aileen Cannon: A Corrupt Judge Appointed by a Lifelong Criminal

Lindsey Graham has Become a Whiny Little Bitch