Professional Politicians Share One Trait: They Will Always Stand on the Side of an Issue Which Gives Them the Most Votes

Op-ed by TheWiseOldFart

[All governments are bad, some are just worse than others.]

This was a line I heard about seventy years ago, and remains accurate to this day. I was born in the United States, and therefore I can only attest to my own country and how it treats or mistreats its people. However, people around the world are virtually the same and want the same things for themselves and their loved ones.

I can tell you one thing without reservation: the quality and competence of America’s government has declined throughout my lifetime. Professional politicians have become focused on greed for great power and great wealth, and less interested in serving the people of our nation.

Over the last nine years, the quality of those leading our nation has diminished to a level impossible to describe. A major cause for our government’s demise is clearly on the shoulders of the electorate. Voting for a party, and rejecting the most qualified candidates has given us men and women who are not only unfit for office, they hate the principles and ideals of the United States of America. Included are Donald Trump, the far too many reelections of Moscow Mitch McConnell, Ted Cruz, Chuck Grassley, Josh Hawley, Tommy Tuberville, Ron Johnson, Jim Jordan, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Matt Gaetz, Lauren Boebert, Paul Gosar, the Current Speaker of the House, Mike Johnson, and others.

POLITICAL PARTIES CARE NOTHING FOR THE IDEA OF SERVING THE PEOPLE; THEY SERVE THEMSELVES

One of the many things I did in my life led me to cosmetology school. I was successful, and enjoyed it until I moved to Northern Nevada. Some of the young women who became my clients were graduating high school and moving onto college. Of course I asked them what their major would be. Some had planned their careers years before, and some weren’t sure, while a few said, “something than makes me a lot of money.”

I told them that of all the professions available, I knew of only two which required little talent and little effort, but would provide a substantial income: televangelists and politicians.

This remains true in 2024. Our leaders in Washington are required to work a minimum of 100 days a year. Most of their time and efforts are spent courting donors, and the rest kissing up to party leaders to gain more prestigious positions on committees which would advance their careers.

When they are in Washington, their “work” is focused on issues which increase their personal power and wealth.

Being a televangelist is a license to steal: need I say more?

TRUST MUST BE EARNED: I TRUST NO ONE WITH POWER OVER ME

Two words have always been important to me. I was taught to respect others, with emphasis on my elders and those in authority. As a matured, I realized that I could not give my respect to anyone I did not trust.

Now that I am an “elder,” I am aware that a very short list of people have my respect because I do not trust most. Let me catch you in a lie once and it is likely that you will never regain my trust.

I no longer trust more than a single handful of our nation’s politicians. I also doubt the veracity of our military leaders, law enforcement, or our entire judicial system. In reality, I have little respect for anyone with power over me and those I love.

What is happening today was prophesized by our second President.

“Democracy... while it lasts is more bloody than either aristocracy or monarchy. Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There is never a democracy that did not commit suicide.” John Adams

WHAT ARE THE GREATEST DANGERS TO DEMOCRACY

It would be easy for me to say that the enemy of democracy is a lust for power over others. Although this is one of the gears in the weapon which could end America and its promise of freedom and the protection of human rights, it requires additional gears, large and small to complete the machine.

Disengagement: When voters lose communication with their government, or become disinterested in what is happening in Washington, voter turnout lessens, or they fail to educate themselves and vote for a political party, not the best candidates.

Abuse of Technology: Unfortunately, the 2016 election results were manipulated by Vladimir Putin and his use of social media to secure a win in the Electoral College for Trump. He turned technology into a lethal weapon.

Younger Voters “Just Don’t Care:” Our Founding Fathers made several errors when creating the Constitution and rules which we follow today.

Younger Americans have always questioned “why they should vote.” The Electoral College selects our Presidents, not the people. Therefore, if you live in a red state, and the candidate you support is a Democrat, your vote is of no value.

Complaints from less populated states forced the signatories of the Constitution to agree to a rule which assigns a number of votes to each state, based on population. The state would give those votes in their entirety to the person with the largest number of votes, or in a few cases divide them according to percentage. To put it plainly, the states decide the outcome. This is the Electoral College.

GENDER DISCRIMINATION

Nearly 51 percent of our nation’s people are female. However, they are not fully represented in Washington.

Until recently, single women were less likely to vote than single men. Today, more women are registered to vote than men, and more women are running for public office than men. Of equal interest is in 2024 more women are registered in our colleges and universities than men.

This change offers hope. Women always have to do the hard work!

Climate Change: The greatest danger to world peace, is climate change. It poses a severe probability that ignoring this tragedy will put an end to all mankind on earth.

However, many of America’s politicians are deniers. This not only frustrates voters, it offers them a much smaller group of men and women to choose from on election day. Some of our nation’s strongest advocates for slowing or ending climate change are not on anyone’s ballot.

A DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC’S PURPOSE IS TO SERVE THE NEEDS AND WISHES OF THE PEOPLE

Our Founding Fathers selected a Democratic Republic as the system of government for the United States. The electorate selects representatives who will vote for them in Washington.

Sadly, this does not happen in 2024. Our nation’s Representatives and Senators vote according to their own beliefs and desires. Honest deliberation and eventual compromise no longer exist on Capitol Hill. Without these two factors, a Democratic Republic cannot exist.

PENNSYLVANIA, MICHIGAN, AND WISCONSIN

Low voter turnout usually means a win for Republicans. This is why Trump won the Electoral College in 2016. Thanks to Putin’s interference, this is what happened in three states on November 8, 2016: Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin. A lower voter turnout than expected in all three states by a total of less than 80,000 ballots, resulted in the 270 EC votes to give the presidency to Trump.

Voter apathy is the primary reason why our government is the most corrupt and incompetent in the world today.

It’s your choice: democracy or fascism. Are you ready for the end of the American dream?

Op-ed by James Turnage

Please tell everyone to follow my blog: “TheWiseOldFart,” because the truth lives here

My novels are available on Amazon’s free Kindle app

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Want You to Think About the Reasons for, and the Reality of Domestic Terrorism

One Very Serious and Critical Question: Why Do Republicans Hate America?

Why my Wife Wants to Move to Canada