One Prominent Republican Explains Why He is Voting for Kamala Harris

Op-ed by TheWiseOldFart

The Democratic National Convention began Monday evening. Earlier in the day Kamala Harris received another endorsement from a prominent Republican.

J. Michael Luttig, a retired federal judge on the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals in Virginia, endorsed Vice President Kamala Harris on Monday.

“In the presidential election of 2024 there is only one political party and one candidate for the presidency that can claim the mantle of defender and protector of America’s Democracy, the Constitution, and the Rule of Law,” Luttig said in a statement. The retired judge said he planned to “unhesitatingly vote” for the Democratic nominee for the first time in his life.

TRUMP’S PEOPLE ARE NOT REPUBLICANS OR CONSERVATIVES

Let me tell you the truth: there are no true Republicans in Washington today. On January 20, 2017, every man and woman in the House, Senate, and on the Supreme Court calling themselves “Republican,” surrendered their morals and principles to Donald Trump who created the American Fascist Party. If you doubt me, read Trump’s Project 2025. For today’s Republicans in name only, politics, and their party, take precedence over the future of the American people.

A CONVENTION BRINGING REAL DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS TOGETHER

Over the next three days, many speeches will be offered by a variety of Democrats. However, real Republicans will address the convention, among them former Illinois Rep. Adam Kinzinger; Olivia Troye, a former Trump White House national security official; and Stephanie Grisham, a former White House press secretary and aide to former first lady Melania Trump.

Let’s be clear: these individuals are not “defectors,” they are real Republicans who want to save what remains of the once Grand Old Party. They will tell us the truth, not only in support of Kamala Harris’ agenda, but in support of what it means to be a true Republican. Personally, I have been in mourning for the Party of Lincoln for decades. As an Independent I had choices. However, in 2000, when the right-wing united in support of the failed policies of George W. Bush, my choices were cut by 50 percent.

I celebrated my 21st birthday in 1967. The first general election in which I could vote was 1968. My first choice was Bobby Kennedy, who was taken from us too soon on June 5, 1968. Our country had already lost one of my personal heroes on April 4th. I admit to having feelings of despair and the election neared.

I won’t reveal my choice on election day. I will say I was conflicted, and I labored over my available choices. The important thing is I voted. I don’t believe most Americans consider what a privilege and responsibility it is to vote in a free and fair election. I can tell you that voting is as it should be, a very serious and heavy duty.

I continue to encourage every eligible man and woman to mail-in your vote or go to the polls. Your future and those of the people you love depends on it.

Op-ed by James Turnage

Find my novels on Amazon’s Kindle

Sources: https://www.thedailybeast.com/retired-conservative-judge-j-michael-luttig-becomes-latest-republican-to-endorse-kamala-harris

https://www.npr.org/2024/08/19/g-s1-17582/republicans-for-harris-dnc-chicago-election

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Real Victims in the Trump Saga

Aileen Cannon: A Corrupt Judge Appointed by a Lifelong Criminal

Lindsey Graham has Become a Whiny Little Bitch