Our Country’s Morals and Goals Should Return to the Ideals of 1960’s America

Op-ed by TheWiseOldFart

First, let me inform you that I feel fortunate to have been an original “baby boomer.” What I have experienced in my life will never be repeated by any other generation. Everything from the growth of commercial air travel, to how we communicate in 2024 began in my lifetime.

I cannot say that all of the changes are positive: human beings are far from perfect. However, as a septuagenarian, I will tell you that I was forced to learn about new inventions and how to use them many times during every decade. My education existed beyond what I learned in school. Every day life offered me more information than I could possibly learn in the few hours I attended classes.

By the way, we read newspapers daily to learn what was happening in our country and around the world. Television news was in its infancy. Today, television “news” is more concerned about selling advertising than informing our nation’s people.

ONE MAN CHANGED THE WAY YOUNG AMERICA USED FREE THOUGHT

I began high school in September of 1960, about two months before the election between Richard Nixon and John Fitzgerald Kennedy. I was 14 years old.

I, and millions of other young Americans were inspired by soon to be President Kennedy. He spoke to us. Never before or after his nomination by the Democratic Party in 1960 have I witnessed such a display of patriotism by anyone under the age of 35.

JFK helped us realize the importance of voting rights, (in 1960, 21 was the voting age), civil rights, women’s rights, and the importance of becoming involved in what happens in Washington. Our young President, 43 years old on Election day, understood us and knew how to get his message across to men and women of all ages.

AMERICA WAS MORE UNITED IN 1960 THAN AT ANY OTHER TIME THAN DURING OUR TWO WORLD WARS

Men and women of all ages marched in the streets for those less fortunate than we were. For the first time women joined together and demanded treatment equal to men in every aspect of society.

I think every young man and woman thought about joining the Peace Corps with the intention of doing something for other humans in need.

IN THE 21ST CENTURY MOST YOUNGER AMERICANS ARE OBLIVIOUS TO THE DOMINANCE OF POLITICS IN OUR COUNTRY

You can better understand the attitude of young Americans in 2024 when you look at the decade between 1960 and 1970.

The average age of all Americans in the 21st century is under 39 years. On election day, November 5th, the candidates will likely be 81 and 78. Both men will be about 40 years older than the average. This will not work.

Although President Biden has performed beyond my expectations, America needs a woman president who is much closer, and more aware of the needs and wishes of the majority.

On the Republican side, Trump moved our nation backwards into the darkness which lurked in our society in the mid-20th century. He destroyed the rights of minorities and non-Christians, and ended a woman’s right to make decisions about her own mental and physical health. He reduced taxes for the super-rich, resulting in a severe growth in income inequality. His final attempt, while still in the White House, was to overturn our democratically elected government and replace it with a fascist regime with him as its Fuhrer.

I KNOW YOU ARE ALL ASKING ABOUT THE DESTRUCTIVE END OF THE 1960’S

I will not attempt to tell you that the entire decade between 1960 and 1970 were great.

When I graduated high school in 1964, the illegal war in South Vietnam was escalating. To this day, no one can give me a straight answer about why we engaged in a war halfway around the world.

In 1968, two of my few personal heroes were murdered: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and Robert Kennedy. The latter was my choice for the Presidency and the first time I could vote in a general election.

After the “Tet Offensive” in 1968, my age group was marching against the war across America. Older Americans, mostly WWII veterans, supported the illegal and immoral war, but they were not drafted into a senseless military conflict in which 59,000 men my age would lose their lives for nothing.

In 1969 Woodstock became the largest protest against war in history.

WHEN I GREW UP IS WHY I WRITE ABOUT POLITICS TODAY

My generation was involved. Nothing similar to this happened until the murders of 17 students and faculty, with an additional 17 people injured happened at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland Florida on February 14, 2018.

A “young people’s” march on Washington was organized and took place on March 24, 2018. It was accurately named, “The March for Our Lives.” They were protesting the fact that our government was doing nothing about gun violence in our schools and other venues across America.

As they did after the slaughter of small children in Newtown, Connecticut in 2012, nothing happened. This “trend” continues today.

Our government cannot be trusted or respected. They do nothing and brag about it.

Op-ed by James Turnage

Find my novels on Amazon’s Kindle

Please follow my blog: TheWiseOldFart

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Real Victims in the Trump Saga

Aileen Cannon: A Corrupt Judge Appointed by a Lifelong Criminal

Lindsey Graham has Become a Whiny Little Bitch