Yes, Republicans are Right: Massive Medicare Fraud is Real, but not by Patients

Op-ed by TheWiseOldFart

I am going to use my own story to offer you the truth about Medicare fraud.  Although Republicans would like you to believe that there is massive fraud within the Medicare system, committed by patients, this is untrue. The feud is real, and committed by doctors and most importantly, by “for profit” hospitals.

MY STORY

In the latter hours of Friday, August 9, 2024, I was taken to the emergency room of one of Reno’s hospitals. After remaining in the ER for a couple of hours, and a preliminary examination, I was admitted to the hospital in the very early morning of August 10.

After receiving multiple tests, including an MRI and drawing amounts of blood, I was allowed to rest for a few hours. Around 9 or 10 a.m. on that Saturday morning, a doctor came into my room. She sat and talked to me for about 10 minutes, never asking me what brought me to the ER, or any other questions about my past or current health, she informed me that blood tests revealed E-Coli bacteria in my blood. I would remain bedridden and given injections of an antibiotic until I was released. I would continue to take the antibiotics in pill form for about 10 days. I never saw a single doctor after that few minutes until I was released on Manday, August 12th. However, although I had been diagnosed and treatment assigned, I was subjected to additional, expensive tests, including a CT scan and electrocardiograms.

My time in the hospital was embarrassing and extremely uncomfortable. As I stated, I was bedridden and was forced to call for a bedpan whenever I had to urinate or evacuate by bowels. Not once did anyone come into my room and ask me if I needed a glass of water, or anything else. The only time I saw a nurse was when tests were required, or a bedpan was placed under my buttocks.

At least twice, I called for a bedpan but no one came for at least 45 minutes.

The room assigned to me was away from the others on the 3rd floor, and looked nothing like any other hospital room I have seen in my 80 years.

The most painful of all my experiences over those few days was much worse when the bills began to arrive.

LIES AND FRAUD

The first thing  I noticed was a charge for four full days in a room. I was charged for use of the Emergency Room and a Hospital Room on Friday, August 9. Fraud. I was also charged for a full day on Monday, August 12, although a doctor discharged me before 9 a.m. in the morning. I was forced to get out of the bed, while someone changed the sheets etc., and then sat on top of the covers for about three hours before I was released.

The second item on my bill which stood out was a charge for “physical therapy.” Never happened.

Then I noticed charges by five additional physicians, although my only experience with a doctor was for less than 15 minutes on Saturday morning. There were other fallacious charges, but these were the most egregious.

Some of the unnecessary tests cost between three and five thousand dollars. I was charged for four full days, although I was only an admitted patient for two. The charge on my bill was for nights at more than $2,000.00 per day.

FACTS ABOUT HEALTCARE IN THE UNITED STATES

Healthcare in the United States is the most expensive and least effective in the world. Although my total bill was for about $26,000, when the best doctors are available, that bill would have been two or three times as expensive.

One last item. I was taken to the hospital in a RFD ambulance. My bill for the eight-minute ride, with no medical care other than a cardiac monitor, was more than $1,600.

FRAUD IS REAL

Corporations are enemies of the people. Their greed removes any doubt that profits are far more important than the welfare of their customers and patients.

Allow me to offer you another fact, not related to medical care.

The heads of corporations all support Trump. Why? Because Trump continues to reduce their taxes. After his first huge cut in 2017, during his first year as your illegitimate president, in 2018, two of the largest corporations in our country, Walmart and Amazon, paid zero dollars in taxes.

How much did you pay that year?

Op-ed by James Turnage

Follow my blog and be informed

My 10 novels are available on Amazon’s free Kindle App

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aileen Cannon: A Corrupt Judge Appointed by a Lifelong Criminal

In the Most Diverse Nation in the World, DEI is the Right Thing to Do

When a Traitor is Chosen to Lead Your Nation