In 2026, I Cannot Name a Single Republican Performing the Jobs for Which They Were Elected


 

Op-ed by TheWiseOldFart

I am not a Democrat or a Republican, and I am very proud of that fact. I reached the age of 21 in July of 1967. The general election in 1968 would be my first opportunity to vote in any election. Looking back, I don’t remember if I was fully aware of the importance of exercising my First Amendment right, and the responsibility attached to that right.

I did know one thing. I never was a “joiner,” and never will be. The term “American” is a promise. I am unique, as is every human on earth. I have the right to my own thoughts, my own beliefs, and the right to act in accordance with a single stipulation that I cannot infringe on the rights of others. I have been and remain a progressive independent who refuses to automatically accept the beliefs of the majority. Mark Twain said it best: “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”

On September 11, 1964, I enlisted in the USAF. Almost immediately, I became aware that I made a huge mistake. I am not a person who needs someone else to make decisions for me, in fact, I abhor the very idea of someone else controlling my life. I received a lucky break.

The recruiter who signed me up intentionally omitted to include a pre-existing medical condition: he received a bonus for every person he recruited. I was discharged in March of 1965.

Therefore, when I thought about voting for the first time, the very idea of becoming a member of either political party was revolting. I became an Independent voter, and would be for life.. I believe that my vote should be given freely to the man or woman whose position on the issues most important to me were the same or similar. However, the 1968 election posed a big problem for me and others.

MY FIRST ELECTION PRESENTED A DIFFICULT DECISION

From the day Robert Kennedy announced his intention to win the Democratic Party’s presidential nomination, I was excited. I was in the first semester of my senior year of high school when his brother, John F. Kennedy was murdered in Dallas, Texas. I do not use the term “hero” often, but JFK and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. who was murdered in 1968 were two men I deeply admired and would call “heroes.”

As summer approached, and election day became closer, the unimaginable happened.

I was very sad when Dr. King lost his life in April, and in June of 1968 “Bobby” Kennedy was assassinated in Los Angeles by a man by the name of Sirhan Sirhan.

My excitement devolved into  confusion and disappointment.

The Democratic Party chose Hubert Humphrey to replace Mr. Kennedy. I was not impressed. However, I would have to make a decision between Humphrey and the Republican nominee, Richard Nixon. I remembered the 1960 debates, and was not impressed by Mr. Nixon. I really wanted to vote, but I had a difficult decision to make.

I won’t tell you who received my precious vote, but to this day I am proud of my decision.

HOW REPUBLICAN CANDIDATES IN FEDERAL ELECTIONS LIMITED MY CHOICES

I voted for Reagan in 1980: huge mistake. He was a somewhat talented actor, but a better one when running for office. His changes to the once Grand Old Party began removing many of my choices in every upcoming election.

By 2000, I had become disappointed by the majority of the men and women who called themselves “Republicans.”

During the primaries, I supported John McCain. George W. Bush was woefully unqualified and his speeches revealed a low level of intelligence. However, what I can on only call “dirty tricks” by the powers in the GOP secured the nomination for Bush. This confirmed my decision to give my vote to Clinton’s V.P. Al Gore. Mr. Gore was more qualified and promised to continue the effective policies of President Clinton.

Unfortunately, 2000 will be remembered as our nation’s most controversial and first illegitimate presidential election in history.

The Florida Supreme Court abused its powers and halted a recount in a single county. Bush was awarded the presidency by a total of 537 votes, although Mr. Gore won the popular vote. Once again, a state, not the people, chose our president. The Electoral College remains unconstitutional.

Since election day, 2000, I have not found a single Republican worthy of receiving my vote in a federal election. Since 2000, there was only one Republican I even considered a viable presidential candidate. I admired John McCain, but despised his running mate, Sarah Palin. I could not imagine her being first in line for the presidency if something happened to Senator McCain.

Since that time, only one inexperienced and untalented man has received the GOP’s nomination, Donald John Trump. Apparently, the former Party of Lincoln could not find a single man or woman more qualified than a man who had never accomplished one thing in his pitiful life without outside assistance. Revelations of his lack of morals and a proclivity for actions focused on personal wealth and power should have guaranteed defeat.

All other Republican candidates running for lesser offices, bowed to the leader of America’s Neo-Nazi movement, and would never receive even the slightest consideration when I cast my ballot.

I LIKE CHOICES, BUT IN THE 21ST CENTURY, THEY ARE LIMITED

Since January of 2017, every man and woman running for any federal office under the banner of the Republican Party surrendered his or her dignity, morals, and abandoned their loyalty to the American people. Everything was about Trump, and protecting him from being punished for his many, many crimes against the American people.

Therefore, I, and all other Independents have been forced to choose between Trump and their country. I chose the latter.

I cherish the Constitution with all of its flaws, and I continue my respect and admiration for the intentions of our Founding Fathers.

Like the men who attended the first Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia between 1787 and 1789, I believe in the dream, and will never accept fascism. I find Trump to be our nation’s greatest traitor, and the enemy of all loyal Americans.

It is trite and overused, but “give me liberty, or give me death.”

Op-ed by James Turnage

Follow my blog and be an informed citizen

My 10 novels are available on Amazon’s free Kindle App

 


 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aileen Cannon: A Corrupt Judge Appointed by a Lifelong Criminal

In the Most Diverse Nation in the World, DEI is the Right Thing to Do

When a Traitor is Chosen to Lead Your Nation